Thursday, May 10, 2012


Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom
A couple of years ago, my father gave me a foyer table that was in his childhood home.  I cherish items that tell a story, and I wanted to implement the table into our decor.  Unfortunately, it really didn't fit into our decor. 


I tried to place the table in the corner of our sun room and place plants on it.  It looked okay, I guess, but every time I walked past it the placement just didn't seem right.  So I put the table in the garage.

Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom

During the holidays, I moved it to a corner of our dining room, and used it for a place to do our Christmas puzzle.  After the holidays, it just sat in the corner, like a child being punished.  So then, I put it back in the garage.



Shortly after I realized it didn't fit in our home (or at least I thought), I asked my siblings if they wanted it because I wanted it to stay in the family.  My one brother said he would take it; I think he was being nice because he didn't want me to get rid of it either, but he really didn't have room for it.  So the table went in the garage for storage; and there it sat for months.


Until...................I began my spring cleaning and took everything out of the sun room to scrub the windows and tile floor.  Believe me, dragging it all out is much easier than maneuvering around the furniture to clean all the windows.  When I began placing the furniture back in, I got this epiphany.  I measured the back of our couch, and went into the garage to measure the table.  It was the perfect height for a behind the couch!!!  I was so excited.  I dragged the table back into the house and placed it behind the couch. 

It fit perfectly in the corner, and the ornate design shows beautifully from the outside.  While shopping for Mother's Day gifts, I came across the green plant on clearance for $2.44.  I used terracotta pots from my collection, and treated myself to the aloe plant that I always wanted.........for $5. 

Everything else on the table was pulled from other rooms.  The aqua bowl was made by my husband as a child and was given to me by my husband's mom.  The tall metal dog sculpture is to honor the passing our our Dalmatian, Tessa; and the small sculpture commemorates acquiring our dog, Toby.  Can you tell I am a sap for memories?


Now, ever time I walk into my sun room............I smile. I have always loved my sun room, but now my smile is much wider.  Finally, my grandmother's table has found it's permanent spot in my home, and it's perfect!


Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment