Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween Cookies Using Natural Coloring

Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom--A bit blurry, I need a new camera!

For those who know me, I am the baker of the family.  I am usually responsible for bringing the dessert to the family function, and there is always a standing order for my decorated Christmas cookies at the annual family Christmas function. Five years ago, I had a home business called "The Cookie Menagerie", and decorated all sorts of cookies.  But there is a difference in the cookies I make now, to the ones I made back then. 

If you look at the drawer below, you will see what I called my decorating drawer. Look at all those colored dyes and sugars!!!!!!  That was then...................
 
Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom 

It held all the colors needed to make a rainbow of hues to fit the design of the cookies.  Believe me, everyone oooh'ed and aaah'ed over them, and some people commented that they did not want to eat something so pretty.  I was really flattered.  But then something happened....I started having some health problems. I had a continuous pain in my lower left abdomen that would not go away.  I went to the doctor, and she could not find anything wrong, so she sent me to my "female" doctor.  He found nothing.  I was so frustrated that I took it upon myself to find an answer, because I was NOT imagining this pain.............and boy did I open up a can of worms!!!!  (And by the way, I do not have the pain anymore.)

I began to realize the diet of processed foods I was feeding my family and selling to customers was not good, not good at all.  I surrounded myself with books on natural health, took notes, and read everything I could get my hands on.  I then realized that I could not serve customers cookies that I knew, good and well, contained dangerous ingredients. 

Yea.....yea, you are probably thinking, "cookies aren't healthy anyway". I get that.  Having a cookie is a treat.........but adding the artificial colors into the icing can cause all sorts of problems.  They have been linked to hyperactivity in some children and some of them, Citrus Red 2, Red 3, Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 1, Blue 2 and Green 3, have all been identified as being, or being contaminated with potential cancer-causing chemicals. Did you notice that many of the colors I listed are common dyes listed on food labels?  And the kicker................artificial colors are derived from coal tar, a.k.a PETROLEUM DERIVATIVES! Yes, petroleum! How this is allowed in our food system is beyond my understanding.  And to add insult to injury, they contain a preservative called sodium benzoate which I found out is a chemical my daughter is sensitive to.

After I closed the business, I became a walking, talking infomercial for healthy living........I know I was driving my family crazy!  Shortly after this new found information, I did make some cookies, but could not allow myself to enjoy decorating cookies with possible cancer causing chemicals; ultimately I stopped making sugar cookies because I didn't enjoy it anymore.  And with that, I put my cookie baking days behind me, because I felt I could not make a beautiful cookie without those artificial colors.

But not anymore!  I found colors made by India Tree that uses natural colors for the food coloring.  The colors are more muted, but I just adjusted the cookies I made that would be complemented by the cookies.  So this Halloween, I made ghosts, pumpkins, and candy corn. 

With this new option available to me, do I bake all the time now?  No.  Recently, I was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance, so wheat flour is no longer a staple in my pantry, and using gluten free flours can become quite expensive! Also, I still believe having a cookie, even a homemade one, is a treat.and should be "treated" as such.  So whenever I make cookies, I usually allow my children to have a couple, and then share the rest with friends, family, or my husband's co-workers.  

And with that, I say........... HAPPY BAKING!

Gluten Free Sugar Cookies

Ingredients

 4 cups All-Purpose GF Flour
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking powder ( I use Rumford because it is GMO-free)
1 c. butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

Directions
In a large bowl, add flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder.  Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Beat well.
Gradually add flour mixture, and mix on low speed until combined. 

Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Remove dough from refrigerator.  Roll dough to a 1/4 in -- 1/2 in thickness. Cut into desired shapes.  Place on cookie sheet at bake for 15-18 minutes, depending on thickness of cookie.

Cool on rack, and decorate.


Royal Icing (from Alton Brown, Food Network

Ingredients

3ounces pasteurize egg whites (about 2-3 depending on size of egg)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
 
Directions
In a large bowl of a stand mixer, combine the egg whites and vanilla.  Beat until frothy.  Add confectioners' sugar gradually and mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated and mixture is shiny.  Turn speed up to high and beat until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks.  This should take approximately 5 to 7 minutes.  Add food coloring, if desired.



 





1 comment:

  1. These cookies are absolutely adorable! No wonder, since you have a professional cookie-making past, but still.

    I can't believe I could actually give my son something as cute and mainstream-looking as that and he wouldn't have a reaction. :)

    ReplyDelete