Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Almond Meal

Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom
Whenever I make homemade almond milk, I have this almond mush that is left over.  I didn't want to throw it away, or put it in my compost bin.  So I decided to put it to good use.  After I make my weekly bottle of almond milk, I always plan to make almond meal.  It's kinda like the book, If you Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Numeroff that says, "if you give a mouse a cookie, he is going to want a glass of milk"....or something like that. So mine is "if you want to make almond milk, you will need to make almond meal afterwards."  Almond meal can be used in recipes as a replacement for flour.  For people with gluten intolerance, almond meal does not contain gluten.  I add it into cookies and muffins.  I also use it as a binder, instead of bread crumbs, in meatballs or meatloaf. 

If you plan on not buying as many processed foods, as our family has, it is a good idea to invest in a dehydrator.  I make almond meal every week, hence the need for a dehydrator.  Although we do use the dehydrator for a lot of other things as well.  But I digress.

So.......after making almond milk, there will be a kind of a mush left over in the colander.  Spread this mush in the dehydrator tray uses to make roll ups, and set the dehydrator to the setting based on the manufacturer's suggestion.



About 8 hours later, the almond much will be dry.  Add it to a blender and blend it into a flour.


Put the flour into a reusable contain and place it in the refrigerator.  If you do not plan on using it in the next couple of weeks, it can be placed in a plastic bag in the freezer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment