Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Homemade Almond Milk

Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom
Last week, I wrote a blog about things I do in my life that I feel help me become mindful of the Earth and it's resources that it provides.  One of them was making my own almond milk.  When I tell people that I make my own almond milk, some of them look at me quite strangely. My husband joked with me at first and asked, "how do you milk an almond?" and then proceeded to pinch his fingers together and pretend to milk tiny, minuscule, invisible utters. No honey, it's not like that.

For those of you who are lactose intolerant, vegetarian, vegan, or just want a change in your daily routine, nut milks are the way to go.  I tend to use it in smoothies and baked goods; and believe me, when I say that it is soooo simple to do.

I choose to make my own almond milk because:
  • almonds are chock full of essential vitamins and minerals, such as magnesium, potassium, copper, vitamin E, selenium and calcium
  • almonds are also high in monounsaturated fats
  • store bought almond milk contains synthetic vitamins and may not contain as much fiber as the homemade comparison
  • store bought almond milk also contains thickeners to make the milk more palatable
  • there are no surprise ingredients....what are "natural flavors" anyway?  You know what you put in it.
  • it has a more delicate taste, and you can sweeten it however you choose
And finally................nothing goes to waste.  I don't throw away a container after I am finished, and the leftover almonds are dehydrated to make almond meal.

Here is my recipe for Almond Milk:

Makes 3 cups

1 cup raw almonds (I buy them at Trader Joes)
3 cups water, plus more for soaking
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp sweetener such as maple syrup or raw honey (optional)
pinch of salt

 Pour the almonds in a bowl and cover it with filtered water. Let them soak in the water overnight.

Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom

 Drain off the water from the almonds.  Add almond to the blender.  Add 3 cups filtered water to the soaked almonds.  Blend for 5 minutes.  Strain mixture through a cheesecloth covered colander.  You can use the back of a spoon to push as much liquid out as possible.
Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom
Rinse the blender container, and add the newly strained almond milk back in the blender.  Add a pinch of salt, vanilla, and your choice of sweetener.  Blend for 1 minute.

Choose a reusable container.  I use a recycled milk container that I sanitize in my dishwasher.  Use a funnel and a small sieve to pour the milk into the container.

Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom
Label the container. 
Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom

You are done!  The liquid will seperate in the container, so just shake it up before each use.  And be sure to use it within a week.

Now........what to do with the leftover almond mush left in the cheesecloth.  See my blog about almond meal.






 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment