Saturday, September 8, 2012

Gluten Free All Purpose Flour

Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom
I am new to this whole experience of being gluten-free, so prepping my kitchen to be a fully gluten-free zone has been quite the experience.  I am a baker.....I always have been, and I always will be; so the thought of converting from wheat flour to flours with names such as tapioca flour, sweet sorghum flour, brown rice flour kind of overwhelmed me at first. 

But alas, I found out there are many blogs on the web and books at the library with recipes using different mixtures of flours you combine to make an all-purpose mix.  The one recipe I have found success with in baking items such as cakes, muffins, pies, and cookies was found in the book, "Gluten Free Baking Classics" by Annalise G Roberts. So far, I have made chocolate chip cookies and cinnamon muffins with great success.  She also has recipes for bread making, but I haven't tackled that area yet. 

In her book, Annalise has measurements depending on how much flour you need.  I make a large batch of it, so I don't have to mix all the flours together each time I have the urge to bake. 

Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom

Here is Annalise's recipe:

6 cups brown rice flour (finely ground)
2 cups potato starch
1 cup tapioca flour

Mix all the ingredients together.  Store in an airtight container. Shake well before each use.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment