Sunday, September 9, 2012

Labeling Canisters


Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom
Yesterday I spent some time refilling my canisters that sit on the kitchen counter.  The canisters span across the counter in two separate areas and not only provide a quick access to a snack or an ingredient to a recipe, but they also add a bit of decor to the kitchen.  I love how these natural ingredients add to the warm colors I use to enhance my home......the brown and cream colors just bring  their own element to the space. 

My dilemma is that many of these ingredients look the same.  Of course, the kids and the hubby can tell the difference between pecans, oatmeal, walnuts, and cashews.  But I also have my gluten free flour, organic sugar, cornmeal, quinoa, and steel cut oats in the mix as well.  I didn't want to go the route of etching each canister with the name of the food that resides in it.  I am a bit  obsessive about symmetry, so I like the look of sameness of the canisters,  and I think adding etching changes the overall look that I am striving for. I also like to change what I want in the canisters, so etching them would not allow me to do that.

But, I wanted to label them, so if my husband wanted to make dinner one night, he wouldn't have to question what was in the canister.  The only reason why I mention my husband is because, bless his heart, many years ago he attempted to make cookies with my then-toddler aged son.  He picked the canister in the pantry that housed my powdered sugar and not the one that housed the flour.  Needless to say during the baking process, the cookies became soup-like and ran all over the cookie sheet.  It was quite a mess.


Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom
So, here is an easy way to identify what is the canister..................a simple label inside the lid.  I retrieved my handy-dandy label maker out and started labeling the ones that were not quite easy to identify.  See....very easy!  And whenever I want to change the food in the canister to something different, I put the label off.

No comments:

Post a Comment