Saturday, September 8, 2012

Gluten Free Cinnamon Muffins


So I have ventured into gluten free territory for about a month now and am feeling pretty good.  I decided to go gluten free after having repeated bouts of radiating joint pain, upper abdominal pain, and major bloating.  And don't get me started on the brain fog.  Currently, I am waiting for the results of having a test for celiac disease to confirm if it is an allergy or just a gluten intolerance.  Either way, I cannot see myself shoving a wheat-laden muffin or cookie in my mouth again after how great I am feeling.

With that being said, gluten free for me means excluding all grains........most of the time at least. I really didn't want to deal with buying a bunch of gluten free flours just to make baked goods that tastes just like their wheat counterpart. 

And, it can get expensive buying all the different flours!!!

Now, my family is another story.  They love their bread, cookies, pies....basically anything made with flour.  But they are starting to come around knowing I can whip up some of their favorite desserts that tastes the same (or even better in my opinion) as the ones used with wheat flour. But, you must use kid gloves in transitioning one into a change....especially with food.  I don't want a full-blown mutiny on my hands, so I am easing them into it by baking them the treats they currently like to eat. 

So last night, my son had a friend sleepover and he asked if I could go get them donuts.  First of all, he knows I do this only on very RARE occasions...............and today was NOT one of them.  But I thought today would be a great day to try a gluten free muffin recipe.  

Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom


This recipe is adapted from Food.com

Gluten Free Cinnamon Muffins--
Makes 12
  • 1 1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour 
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Extra Cinnamon/Sugar for sprinkling
 
Directions:

1.  Sift together flour, xanthan gum, sugar, salt, cinnamon, brown
     sugar, and baking powder.
 
2.  Combine egg, oil, and milk.  Add to dry ingredients. Stir just
     enough to moisten.
 
3.  Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full or use a medium-sized ice cream
     scoop.

4.  Mix 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 c sugar in a small bowl.  Sprinkle
     over tops of muffins.
 
5.  Sprinkle tops of muffins with a cinnamon/sugar mixture.

6.  Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes.
 
Well, of course, the boys came running down the stairs to the scent of cinnamon wafting through the air.  They immediately started eating them.....it didn't matter that they were just out of the oven and very hot.......teenagers!
 
His friend was first to make a comment by saying, "these are really good. " I looked at my son and asked him, "so, are they good?"  He nodded because his mouth was full with his second muffin.  I then said, "do you know they are gluten free?"  He stopped chewing (uh-oh)....gave me a smile and nodded again.  What!?! He could taste the difference? Although.......he is my dessert connoisseur.
 
So I asked him, "how do you know.....do they taste that different?" 
 
His reply?  "No, they are really good, but I only knew it when I saw you eat one." 
 
That's my boy!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment