Friday, June 1, 2012

Caramel Popcorn

Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom

I usually try to keep our snacking on the healthy side......but every once in a while, we all need something sweet to eat.  In preparing for having a few of my son's friends over for a sleepover, I decided to make a batch of caramel popcorn for them to munch as they camp out in the backyard. 

I have had this recipe for many years, and I have made it many times..................it's foolproof and so delicious.  It's a great thing to make for gift giving during the holidays too.  While I was making this batch, I found little, kid vultures circling the kitchen waiting for the popcorn to come out of the oven!!

It's called "poppycock" but I there are times that I decide to add pecans and almonds in it, and other times I just want the crunchy, sweetness of the popcorn. 

Caramel Popcorn

1 c. butter
2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c honey OR 1 1/4 c. organic sugar + 1/4 c. water
1 tsp. salt
5 quarts of popcorn, popped
1 tsp. vanilla

If you want to turn it into Poppycock, add to the popped corn:

6 oz slivered almonds
10 oz chopped pecans

Combine butter, sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a heavy saucepan.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. 

Once it comes to a rolling boil, stop stirring and let it boil for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Stir in vanilla and baking soda (be careful when adding this, because it will boil up and the mixture is VERY hot!)

Immediately (and carefully) drizzle the caramel over the popcorn.  Toss with a wooden spoon until the popcorn is well coated.

Pour into 2 large baking pans.  Bake at 250 degrees for 1 1/2 hours until dry, stirring every 15 minutes.

Enjoy! Now..............I'm hoping it makes it until tomorrow!

**Keep in mind that I still try to use organic ingredients even when I make treats like this.







No comments:

Post a Comment