Friday, June 29, 2012

Homemade Hummus

 
Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom

I used to buy hummus in the grocery store.....used to.  I would throw the tub into my cart with no thought as to what ingredients were in it.  So to look at an ingredient list of processed hummus now, it makes me glad I have changed my ways--items such as natural flavor (MSG anyone?), potassium sorbate, soybean oil (I am sure it is not GMO free), and seasonings are the ingredients.  Add chickpeas and tahini to the mix, and that was what is in the popular brand I bought.

Now I realize how easy it is to make it at home, and delicious!  If you have a food processor or blender, you are good to go.  Hummus has become a staple in our household....it's an easy snack for the kids to dip carrot sticks, cucumbers, or red pepper stick in.  Whenever my daughter eats it, she always says, "hummus, hummus, hummus.....hummus is goooood!" 

You can make this with either canned or home cooked chickpeas. If you’re using canned, I recommend using organic beans. 

Homemade Hummus

2 cups chickpeas
6-7 garlic cloves, roasted
1 tbsp tahini
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp cumin
5 Tbsp water

Add all the ingredients into the food processor or blender.  Blend until smooth. 

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment