Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Almond Meal

Photo by Life as a Healthy Mom
Each time I make almond milk, I make almond meal.   It is the final step of "milking the almonds" as my husband says.  How is  almond meal and almond flour different?  Almond meal tends to have the skins of the almond intact and has a coarser grind than almond flour does. 

I freeze the almond meal after I make it, so it doesn't go rancid, and there are many uses for it. 

You can:
  • add it as a filler in meatloaf
  • use it as a coating to baked chicken
  • substitute it for flour in muffins and other baked goods, such as cookies
  • add it into my morning smoothie for a touch of nutty flavor
  • add it to my morning oatmeal
  • add it to soups and stews to thicken it
  • sprinkle it over yogurt and fresh cut fruit

See my post about how to make almond milk.  You will be making the almond meal from the almond mush left over. 

1.  Scoop the almond mush out of the strainer and spread it onto
     the fruit roll up tray of the dehydrator.

2.  Set the dehydrator setting to the nut setting.

3.  Dehydrate overnight or 10-12 hours. 

4.  After the almonds are dried, process it in a food processor until 
     fine.

If you do not have a dehydrator, you can spread the almond mush on a baking sheet and dehydrate it in the oven at the lowest setting (with the oven door ajar) until the almonds are dry.   

There you have it.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy (as my son would say). 

No comments:

Post a Comment